This is a follow up to the beer brewing we have been enjoying these last weekends of summer. I know it looks like a lot of beer, but once it gets shared out and some tasted along the process, it’s not so much. It has been fun to watch these men learn some good science together. I decided that bottling day needed a special lunch, one that stood up to a not-yet-carbonated Double IPA. Stout. Indian Biryani rice was a perfect reverse pairing.
- 1 (4 inch) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
- 4-6 green Thai, serrano, or cayenne chiles, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 lbs. boneless or 4 lbs. with bone lamb leg or shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes or shanks
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 medium yellow or red onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron strands, soaked in 2 tablespoons milk
1. In a deep bowl, mix together the ginger, garlic, green chiles, garam masala, red chile powder, turmeric, 1 teaspoon of salt, cilantro, and mint. Add the lamb and mix to coat. Marinate at least 2 hours in the refrigerator or, ideally, overnight.
2. After marinating, add the yogurt to the lamb and mix well.
3. Brown the onions in oil on the stove top.
4. Turn the slow cooker on low. Add the onions, 2 tablespoons of the oil, and the marinated lamb to the slow cooker. Cook for 2 hours.
4. On the stove top, bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the rice and the tablespoon of salt and turn the heat to low. Allow the rice to simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, at which point most of the water will have evaporated. If it has not, use a slotted spoon to transfer the rice to the slow cooker. Discard any remaining water. Level the rice in the slow cooker with the back of a spoon. Drizzle the rice with the remaining oil and the saffron /milk mixture, if desired.
5. Cook for 1 hour, occasionally fluffing the rice with a fork. scoop and serve.